Riders urged to report issues with drones

Following reports of horses being spooked by a drone near Marske we contacted the BHS and they provided the following advice:

  • The operation of the aircraft must not endanger anyone or anything.
  • The aircraft must be kept within the visual line of sight – normally taken to be within 500m horizontally and 400ft vertically – of its remote pilot i.e. the person in charge of it. Operations beyond these distances must be approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
  • Small unmanned aircraft that are being used for surveillance purposes are subject to tighter restrictions with regard to the minimum distances that you can fly near people or properties that are not under the pilot’s control. To fly within these minima, permission is required from the CAA before operations are commenced.
  • CAA permission is also required for all flights that are being conducted for aerial work i.e. in very simple terms, you are getting paid for doing it. The ‘remote pilot’ has the responsibility for satisfying him/herself that the flight can be conducted safely.

The aircraft must not be flown:

  • over or within 150 metres of any congested area
  • over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons
  • within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft
  • within 50 metres of any person except during take-off or landing, the aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person except for the person in charge of the aircraft.

Please refer to the air navigation order on the Civil Aviation Authority website for specific details

Bridleway guidance

The Drone Guide UK also advise drone operators to avoid bridleways and to not startle or frighten any horses, whether they are ridden or loose. http://www.droneguideuk.com/wheretoflydronesuk.html

Report it!

This is a subject that the BHS are taking very seriously. If you do happen to have an incident with drones, please do report it to the BHS.

More info…

Further information can be found on the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) website.